Australia has loads of exciting destinations that you can get to by car. From romantic beach breaks to awesome outback escapes, you don’t have to leave the country to get to the unforgettable. To keep your car in tip-top shape for big adventures, here are some important things to look at before you hit the road.
View the accessible text version of the infographic below or download the PDF version.
Inspect your tyres
- Check tyre pressure: properly inflated tyres can save fuel, enhance handling and prevent accidents. And it’s free at most service stations.¹
- Check the spare: make sure the spare tyre’s in good condition, and that you have all the tools you need to change it, including a jack and spanner.
- Inspect tyres for uneven wear: inspect tyre tread depth and wear patterns. If the tyre's tread is worn they may need to be replaced.²
Service your vehicle
- Examine your oil level: oil lubricates the engine keeping it from overheating and preventing harmful substances from accumulating. Incorrect oil levels can cause trouble for your engine.³
- Test your lights: lights helps keep you safe by allowing you to communicate with other drivers. Checking all your lights function will help you avoid collisions, and fines!
- Top up fluids: make sure all car fluids (power steering, windscreen washer, brake and coolants) are at proper levels.4
Pre-trip final check
- Clean your front and back windshields: rain or shine, windshields and wipers help keep your vision clear. Make sure your reservoir is topped up with a mix of screen wash and water for cleaning when you’re on the road.
- Pack efficiently and securely: loose items can cause visual obstructions to the driver. Pack all items so that vision in the rear-view mirror isn’t blocked, and secure any items that are likely to move about.
- Check seatbelts: ensure your seatbelts are in proper working condition. Seatbelts reduce the risk of serious injury by up to 50 per cent. Each state and territory has its own penalties for not wearing one while driving
Going on a road trip with your family and friends should be a fun adventure, so it is important to take a moment to tick off some simple checks on your car.
If you're looking to buy a new or used car, get started by finding out your individual rate and repayments on a Pepper Money personal loan before applying here (it won't affect your credit score). Alternatively, give us a call on 1300 108 794 if you have any questions.
This article provides you with factual information only and is not intended to imply any recommendation about any financial product(s) or constitute tax advice. If you require financial or tax advice you should consult a licensed financial or tax adviser. Neither Pepper nor its related bodies, nor their directors, employees or agents accept any responsibility for loss or liability which may arise from accessing or reliance on any of the information contained in this article. For information about whether a Pepper loan may be suitable for you, call Pepper on 13 73 77 or speak to an accredited Pepper Money broker.
All applications are subject to the credit provider’s credit assessment and loan eligibility criteria. Terms, conditions, fees and charges apply. Information provided is factual information only and is not intended to imply any recommendation about any financial product(s) or constitute tax advice. If you require financial or tax advice you should consult a licensed financial or tax adviser.
©Pepper Money Limited ABN 55 094 317 665; AFSL 286655; Australian Credit Licence 286655 (“Pepper”). All rights reserved. Pepper is the servicer of home loans provided by Pepper Finance Corporation Limited ABN 51 094 317 647. Pepper Asset Finance Pty Limited ACN 165 183 317 Australian Credit Licence 458899 is the credit provider for asset finance loans.